Re: ext3 problem, help please!

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 02:58:16PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> And, in my personal experience, ext3 support does _not_ need
> to be compiled into the kernel for the root partition.

If you use an initrd, you don't need to compile it into the kernel.
Otherwise, though, I think you need to compile it into the kernel.
Here's a quote from a RedHat faq:

    *  If you are transitioning your root file system, you will have to
    *  use an initrd to boot. Run the mkinitrd program as described in
    *  the manual and make sure that your LILO or GRUB configuration
    *  loads the initrd. (If you fail to make that change, the system
    *  will still boot, but the root file system will be mounted as ext2
    *  instead of ext3 -- you can tell this by looking at the
    *  output of the command cat /proc/mounts.) More information on
    *  tune2fs can be found in the tune2fs man page (man tune2fs).

Are you using an initrd? (I've never bothered to learn how to use them.)
Like you, I'm no expert on ext3, but it seems logical that without an
initrd, it wouldn't be possible to load the ext3 module needed to mount
the root partition.

--
 .~.
 /V\   Lance Simmons