Re: safe load average

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:25:11PM -0400, Seneca wrote:
| On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:25:47PM -0500, Ron wrote:
| > P.S. - Confirmation messages are not a "feature"!
|
| They are when they meet the teacher's specifications: written in java,
| use AWT, are a class, and use buttons, frames, and the appropriate
| listeners. Each time one comes up in my testing of my programs, there is
| about two minutes of swapping. Give me a command line anyday.

There's the problem.  Java.  Are you doing java2 or just 1.1?  If 1.1
then maybe kaffe or gcj will be an improvement over sun's jdk.  Just
for fun I decided to start up a couple of (non-trivial) java programs
I have that use Swing/AWT.  One had an RSS of about 20MB, the other
almost 30MB, and that was after doing nothing but starting them.

-D

(what a fitting sig :-).  it really is randomly chosen by a script)

--

How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released incompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you don't care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)