Re: safe load average

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:21:11PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:25:11PM -0400, Seneca wrote:
> | On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:25:47PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> | > P.S. - Confirmation messages are not a "feature"!
> |
> | They are when they meet the teacher's specifications: written in java,
> | use AWT, are a class, and use buttons, frames, and the appropriate
> | listeners. Each time one comes up in my testing of my programs, there is
> | about two minutes of swapping. Give me a command line anyday.
>
> There's the problem.  Java.  Are you doing java2 or just 1.1?  If 1.1
> then maybe kaffe or gcj will be an improvement over sun's jdk.  Just
> for fun I decided to start up a couple of (non-trivial) java programs
> I have that use Swing/AWT.  One had an RSS of about 20MB, the other
> almost 30MB, and that was after doing nothing but starting them.

Currently just 1.1 (what's at school), although the teacher uses java2
for all the sample programs, and is planning to change the school over
soon. The entire course is java (a few years ago the course was c++, but
then the teacher discovered java).

kaffe is a virtual machine, and gcj does not support inner classes. I
can't use gcj because I use inner classes and other extensions. I can't
use kaffe because I need more than a virtual machine.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com