Re: Disabling startx in gdm

    "Kapil" == Kapil Khosla <khoslakapil@lycos.com> writes:

    Kapil> Hi, I am trying to disable X to start up at boot time and
    Kapil> want to type "startx" to enter into KDE which is my default
    Kapil> enviornment.  I use gdm and want to know

    Kapil> 1) Which file actually is responsible for starting up gdm

The symlink from /etc/rcX.d/S99gdm to /etc/init.d/gdm whre 'X' is the
default runlevel for your system as defined in /etc/inittab (usually 2
on Debian systems).

    Kapil> 2) How can I disable gdm to startup

You can do 'update-rc.d -f gdm remove' to remove all the links so gdm
never starts when any run level is entered, or just remove the S99gdm
file from /etc/rc2.d/ (or whatever default run level you have). The
advantage of the latter is you can use telinit to change the run
levels as you wish.

Many people suggest modifying the script in /etc/init.d/ itself with
an 'exit 0' near the top. Don't do it IMHO. If you do this and the
script needs an update when the package is updated, the update will
not be nice and automatic.

    Kapil> 3) I am not able to login as root from gdm...how can I
    Kapil> login as root from gdm ?

First thing, don't do it. Ever! Use a console. Second, if you still
really want to do something as scary as that, look in
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf for the lines

[security]
AllowRoot=false

and change it. Like I said, you don't want to do this. Ever. If you
do, you are losing the faith.

Cheers!
Shyamal