RE: Disabling startx in gdm

"Kapil Khosla" <khoslakapil@lycos.com> wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to disable X to start up at boot time and want to type "startx" to enter into KDE which is my default enviornment.
I use gdm and want to know 1) Which file actually is responsible for starting up gdm 2) How can I disable gdm to startup
3) I am not able to login as root from gdm...how can I login as root from gdm ?
Thanks
Kapil

1. The file for starting GDM is an "initscript" located in /etc/init.d/gdm. It is started when you enter run-levels 2-5 in Debian. It has a priority level of "S99" on my system, which means that it is one of the last things started at any run-level.

2.  There are several ways:

A. You can just "stop" gdm by switching to another console and typing "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" as root. This only works until you re-start gdm or reboot. B. You can always remove GDM (dpkg --purge gdm), which will provide a permanent solution until you re-install it.

C. You can always edit the place (run-level) it starts so that it doesn't start in the run-level you normally use.

D. Finally, the method I like is to edit the existing /etc/init.d/gdm script so that it will exit before it starts any programs. You add an "exit 0" on the second line like this:

#! /bin/sh
exit 0          <-- add this line
#
# Originally based on:
# Version:      @(#)skeleton  1.8  03-Mar-1998  miquels@cistron.nl
#.......

This way if you ever want to use gdm again, all you have to do it edit it again and comment out the line you added like this:

#! /bin/sh
# exit 0          <-- comment out this line
#
# Originally based on:
# Version:      @(#)skeleton  1.8  03-Mar-1998  miquels@cistron.nl
#.......

3. Go to the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file and change the entry in the [security] section from "AllowRoot=false" to read "AllowRoot=true"

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-