Re: CD device file problem and kernel questions

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Jeremy wrote:
> Johnny Ernst Nielsen <j.e.nielsen@iname.com> writes:
>

> > I think perhaps you have the same problem as described in this posting:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200108/msg01241.html
> >
> > Try the solution proposal in the posting, and see if something changes.
> >
> > I don't know about the modules thingy.
>
> I took a look at it, and that is what I had done.  The part where I am having
> problems is here:
>
> "Now my CD drive is no longer /dev/hdb. It has become /dev/scd0.  However, my
> /dev/cdrom still points to /dev/hdb. Trying to mount my CD drive now will
> fail.  I must now make /dev/cdrom point to /dev/scd0."
>
> I have tried this (although mine should be on /dev/hdc) but my problem is
> that no scd* devices come up and say that it has successfully mounted.  They
> all give me the same error I posted last night.  Should it definitely be one
> of the scd* devices, or could it be something else?  I also did a check in
> dmesg to see if that had any pointers, but it just lists my drive under
> /dev/hdc and then later on tells me it's now seen as a scsi device (which my
> /proc info confirms)

In that case I am blank.
The described solution worked for me.

However, I do think perhaps other postings to the thread I gave a link to has
mention of some other device name besides scd that could be scsi cds.
Also I think I have seen some place that one can tell Linux to create scsi
devices. I do not know how though.
Try to run through the entire thread I linked to.

Sorry I can not help more than that.

By the way, good list etikette is _not_ to reply to both the original sender as
well as to the list.

Best regards
Johnny :o)