CD device file problem and kernel questions

Hello all!

I'm having a problem with accessing my CD drive, and I was hoping to possibly
get a little insight into the situation.  Basically the situation is that I
have an IDE CD-RW drive, but I can't get much to find it.  Normally it would
be /dev/hdc, but I have the ide-scsi option (append="hdc=ide-scsi") in my
lilo.conf file, so supposedly it is now associated with another device file.
I've pretty much read (and been told) that it's supposed to be /dev/scd0, but
when I try to mount it, I get:

mount: /dev/scd0: unknown device

Yet, I DO have device files scd0-16 listed in /dev.  If I try to mount it at
it's old hdc spot, I get this:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

Also, if I try to burn a CD on this drive with readcd or cdrecord, it gives
me this error:

Copy from file '/backup/disk1.raw' to SCSI (0,0,0) disk
end:         1
readcd: Input/output error. write_g0: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  0A 00 00 00 01 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 90 82 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x90 Qual 0x82 (vendor unique sense code 0x90) [No matching qualifier] Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.008s timeout 40s
readcd: Input/output error. Cannot write destination disk

Now, all of this would tell me that for whatever reason, something's not
finding my CD-RW drive, yet if I run readcd with the correct parameters, it
will read a CD to a file just fine.

I have a feeling that my major problem lies somewhere in my kernel
configuration.  I roll my own, and I'm currently running a custom 2.4.7 with
Sid.  (yeah, I know... that's just asking for trouble) I have ide-scsi and
generic scsi both in my kernel, but they're included as modules.  Should
these be built into the kernel itself?  While I'm at it, what sort of things
should or shouldn't be built as modules?  As an example, I've read that if I
want DRI working with my ATI RadeonVE card, then I need to have this as a
module and NOT built into the kernel.  (which I still haven't gotten the DRI
working with that either... yet)

Okay, well if I keep going, I'll just start rambling on in my sleepy state,
so I'd better go.

Thanks for any help in advance,
jeremy