Re: ide-scsi device question

>I recently enabled the ide-scsi option in my kernel (and set it up so that

>lilo started it for the right devices) for my cd burner.  I also have the

>generic scsi driver in there.  My burner BURNS just fine, but I was wondering

>what the new device file name is that refers to the device.  I'm mainly
just
>looking for the pattern it adheres to.  I can't seem to mount anything in
my
>burner or in my regular cdrom drive because the /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd are
no
>longer valid for those devices.  I thought it was something like /dev/scd0,

>but I tried several /dev/sd* and scd* files, but none of them worked.
>(unless there's one that I'm missing and not trying)

I can't really unscrable your question (I'm probably too unconcentrated right
now).
However, I have a vague idea that you are asking "How do I mount an IDE CD
drive that has been set under ide-scsi administration?"

Let us take my own system as an example:

Before setting up ide-scsi I have one IDE CD-RW. It is the slave on the primary
IDE controller.
Its device is named /dev/hdb
It also has a symbolic link named /dev/cdrom which, in this case, points
to /dev/hdb

Now I want to be able to both burn CDs with this drive AND I want to be able
to mount it as an ordinary CD drive.

I do this:

I configure the kernel to use sg (generic scsi) and ide-scsi.
On my system they are loadable modules.

Then I tell LILO to tell the kernel to treat my CD drive as a scsi device
by using the ide-scsi driver.
I do that in /etc/lilo.conf where I put this in the append line:

append="hdb=ide-scsi"

I then run /sbin/lilo to make the changes take effect upon the next reboot.

I then reboot.

Now my CD drive is no longer /dev/hdb. It has become /dev/scd0.
However, my /dev/cdrom still points to /dev/hdb. Trying to mount my CD drive
now will fail.
I must now make /dev/cdrom point to /dev/scd0
I achieve that like this:

rm /dev/cdrom
ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

I.e. first I remove the old symlink since it is no longer any good.
Then I make a new symlik that point to the correct device.

For you I my first guess would be that your CD drives must be /dev/scd<something>

Have you tried mounting the devices manually one by one?
This is the tedious way to find your devices, but it should be foolproof.

What does cdrecord -scanbus report? (I haven't got it within reach right
this minute)
I would think there would be some tools that could scan the virtual scsi
bus and list devices. I never needed one, so I can't help you there.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards
Johnny :o)