Re: CD device file problem and kernel questions

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Jeremy wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm having a problem with accessing my CD drive, and I was hoping to possibly
> get a little insight into the situation.  Basically the situation is that I
> have an IDE CD-RW drive, but I can't get much to find it.  Normally it would
> be /dev/hdc, but I have the ide-scsi option (append="hdc=ide-scsi") in my
> lilo.conf file, so supposedly it is now associated with another device file.
> I've pretty much read (and been told) that it's supposed to be /dev/scd0, but
> when I try to mount it, I get:
>
> mount: /dev/scd0: unknown device
>
> Yet, I DO have device files scd0-16 listed in /dev.  If I try to mount it at
> it's old hdc spot, I get this:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> Also, if I try to burn a CD on this drive with readcd or cdrecord, it gives
> me this error:
>
> Copy from file '/backup/disk1.raw' to SCSI (0,0,0) disk
> end:         1
> readcd: Input/output error. write_g0: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  0A 00 00 00 01 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 90 82 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x90 Qual 0x82 (vendor unique sense code 0x90) [No matching qualifier] Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 0.008s timeout 40s
> readcd: Input/output error. Cannot write destination disk
>
> Now, all of this would tell me that for whatever reason, something's not
> finding my CD-RW drive, yet if I run readcd with the correct parameters, it
> will read a CD to a file just fine.
>
> I have a feeling that my major problem lies somewhere in my kernel
> configuration.  I roll my own, and I'm currently running a custom 2.4.7 with
> Sid.  (yeah, I know... that's just asking for trouble) I have ide-scsi and
> generic scsi both in my kernel, but they're included as modules.  Should
> these be built into the kernel itself?

[snip]

I think perhaps you have the same problem as described in this posting:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200108/msg01241.html

Try the solution proposal in the posting, and see if something changes.

I don't know about the modules thingy.

Best regards

Johnny :o)