Re: CD device file problem and kernel questions

Johnny Ernst Nielsen <j.e.nielsen@iname.com> writes:

> I think perhaps you have the same problem as described in this posting:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200108/msg01241.html
>
> Try the solution proposal in the posting, and see if something changes.
>
> I don't know about the modules thingy.

I took a look at it, and that is what I had done.  The part where I am having
problems is here:

"Now my CD drive is no longer /dev/hdb. It has become /dev/scd0.  However, my
/dev/cdrom still points to /dev/hdb. Trying to mount my CD drive now will
fail.  I must now make /dev/cdrom point to /dev/scd0."

I have tried this (although mine should be on /dev/hdc) but my problem is
that no scd* devices come up and say that it has successfully mounted.  They
all give me the same error I posted last night.  Should it definitely be one
of the scd* devices, or could it be something else?  I also did a check in
dmesg to see if that had any pointers, but it just lists my drive under
/dev/hdc and then later on tells me it's now seen as a scsi device (which my
/proc info confirms)

Thanks,
Jeremy