Re: CD device file problem and kernel questions

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 12:26:37AM -0500, Jeremy wrote:
> Now, all of this would tell me that for whatever reason, something's not
> finding my CD-RW drive, yet if I run readcd with the correct parameters, it
> will read a CD to a file just fine.
>
> I have a feeling that my major problem lies somewhere in my kernel
> configuration.  I roll my own, and I'm currently running a custom 2.4.7 with
> Sid.  (yeah, I know... that's just asking for trouble) I have ide-scsi and
> generic scsi both in my kernel, but they're included as modules.  Should
> these be built into the kernel itself?  While I'm at it, what sort of things
> should or shouldn't be built as modules?  As an example, I've read that if I
> want DRI working with my ATI RadeonVE card, then I need to have this as a
> module and NOT built into the kernel.  (which I still haven't gotten the DRI
> working with that either... yet)

I run 2.4 7 and sid and don't have any problems, so I don't think
you're asking for trouble there :)

Did you include SCSI CD support in the kernel? (compiled in or as a
module?)  If it's a module it's known as sr_mod.  I use devfs (it
sounds like you don't), but I believe the cd device will be /dev/sr0
rather than /dev/scd0.  If you're not running devfs, the existence of
a device file doesn't mean anything ... it's just a pointer to kernel
routines that may or may not exist.  devfs creates the relevant device
files when the kernel routines initialise (and thus you don't have a
bunch of files in /dev for crap you don't have).

I compiled ide-scsi into the kernel, but scsi generic and cd are
modules ... not sure why :)  These days most anything can be a module
if you use an initrd, so it really depends on what you are trying to
accomplish and what your constraints are.  For example, if you have
low RAM and don't use your cd-rom very often, it makes sense to
modularise all the cd support.

Cheers,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.