Re: Classic Windoze lockup while in X (Gnome)

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:55:19PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
| dman wrote:
|
| (snip)
|
| > I use GNOME 1.4 with Sawfish.  I like it a lot.  I've tried various
| > other window managers in various contexts including mwm, fvwm2,
| > afterstep, windowmaker, elightenment, and CDE and I have found that
| > Sawfish is the best of them.
|
| Sounds good.  I have heard a little about Sawfish.  Is that compatible
| with potato?  My only very very slight hesitancy or curiosity is that my
| installation is as straight as I know a stable installation.  The setup
| I have is what got installed by choosing most of the packages.  I want
| to find the easiest path for unskilled people I might be helping.

In potato it is called "sawmill".  Sawmill is the original name, but
some company politely requested the name be changed because it was too
similar to the name of one of their products.

One reason I like sawfish is because it is quite lightweight and plays
nicely with a desktop environment.  Some WMs (ie afterstep and
windomaker) were made prior to desktop environments on Unix so they
have their own panel, etc, which doesn't play as nice with GNOME (or
KDE).

| > Ok, since you have the NICs and cable, I'll send you a snippet of my
| > /etc/network/interfaces file when I get home.  Just cut-n-paste it in
| > (adjusting any data as necessary) and you will have a connection.
| > Getting application-level connections to be useful can be a different
| > story, but the network-level connection is pretty easy once you have
| > the hardware.
|
| Thanks.  I can learn this stuff either way so I don't mind help of any
| kind.  I have actually taught a Novell 5 software course and tried
| unsucessfully to network my two machines with W98SE.

/etc/network/interfaces describes the network interfaces your system
has.  It should already contain the loopback interface :

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

You now want to add your ethernet interface :

    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        #gateway 192.168.0.2

You can pick any address you want in the range reserved for private
networks.  192.168.0.* is the Class C private network range.  The
netmask indicates how many bits are for the network address and how
many are specific to this host.  The gateway option is only needed on
the machine that does not have internet access.  That option indicates
that all packets that don't already have a destination should be
routed via that host/IP.

The 'auto' line indicates that the interface should be brought up
automatically at boot time.  At any time root can run 'ifup <iface>'
to bring up an interface and 'ifdown <iface>' to take it down.
'ifconfig' will display information about currently configured
interfaces.

You will want to 'apt-get install ipmasq' on the internet connected
machine sooner or later.

--- ppp stuff now ---
You were the one asking about PPP config stuff, right?  Ok, well I
booted that 486 to grab all the PPP config stuff from it.  The file
/etc/ppp/peers/provider is the default pppd config file.  It contains
a line that by default is

    # The chat script (be sure to edit that file, too!)
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"

This states that /etc/chatscripts/provider is the chat script used by
this pppd config to initialize the modem.

My chatscript looks like

    ABORT       BUSY
    ABORT       "NO CARRIER"
    ABORT       VOICE
    ABORT       "NO DIALTONE"
    ""          AT&F&C1&D2
    OK          ATL0
    OK          ATM0
    OK          ATDT*80,4272000
    Verification ""
    name:--name:--name:--name:--name:--name:--name:   my_name
    word:      my_password
    "IT Local>"  ppp
    ~             ""

Basically it means: abort on these error conditions, expect nothing
then send the modem init string, expect OK and send the next string,
again (basically turning off the speaker), expect OK send the dial
command (& phone number), expect some string my ISP spits back and
send nothing (this prevents it from timing out sometimes), expect
"name:" (with some error handling I don't understand, I copied it) and
send my login name, expect "word:" and send my pass word, expect the
prompt and run ppp on the remote system, expect ~ (the beginning of
ppp connection) and send nothing.  Chat is very easy to configure once
you have used minicom to determine what strings and prompts your ISP
sends.  If it doesn't see the string it expects it is an error.  When
chat terminates (once it has seen the '~') pppd takes over the
connection and maintains the PPP connection.

--- ---

HTH,
-D