Classic Windoze lockup while in X (Gnome)

Hi,

I just had something scary (to me) happen. I was in X (with Gnome) working on my favorite LT WinModem problem. I was running Gnome Termnal and GnomePad+. Potato 2.2.19pre17 with all other packages from the same official CD image D/L'd.

As I was trying to find help with why I couldn't open a hidden file in GnomePad+ I clicked on something, Gnome Terminal seemed to get the focus with an I-Beam cursor (from GnomePad+ ?) and I had the symptoms of a classic MS Windoze lockup. The mouse was dead. I could not open a virtual terminal. I could not shut down X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing.

I reset my CPU, rebooted to Linux and went to /var/log to see what I could see. I don't yet know what logs to look for but sorting by time seemed to only leave debug as relevant. This is the only line in the time vicinity:

Aug 15 00:52:29 joy gnome-name-server[629]: server_is_alive: cnx[IDL:help_browser/simple_browser:1.0] = (nil)

Any clues or suggestions of what to read would be appreciated.

TIA,

Paul Scott