Window managers & destop environments (was: Re: Classic Windoze...)

on Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:44:37PM -0400, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:55:19PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> | dman wrote:

> One reason I like sawfish is because it is quite lightweight and plays
> nicely with a desktop environment.  Some WMs (ie afterstep and
> windomaker) were made prior to desktop environments on Unix so they
> have their own panel, etc, which doesn't play as nice with GNOME (or
> KDE).

In WindowMaker, both clip and dock (the built-in "panels") can be
disabled, as can miniwindows.  In the WPrefs tool, this is under
"Workspace Preferences" and "Expert User Preferences", wmakerconf should
offer similar options...hmm...seems it doesn't.

These settings allow use with either GNOME or KDE.  I haven't used
wmaker under either enviornment extensively for quite some time (I use
wmaker largely exclusively), but recall it seemed to work pretty well.

Have to generall agree that Sawfish makes a good GNOME WM.