Re: Classic Windoze lockup while in X (Gnome)

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:24:33PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
| dman wrote:
|
| > On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:40:22AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
| >
| > | So it is true that even though Linux should almost never crash that X
| > | lockups like this happen and that there is no way to kill the X session
| > | from the same machine when it happens?
| >
| > It can happen.  If X isn't responding, for some reason, but it is
| > consuming all keyboard/mouse input then that keyboard and mouse can't
| > do anything unless X decides to respond.
|
| It was suggested off list that Gnome might be contributing here.  I am
| interested in helping other people who might have single machine
| situations.  Any comments about choice of window managers in this regard?

I use GNOME 1.4 with Sawfish.  I like it a lot.  I've tried various
other window managers in various contexts including mwm, fvwm2,
afterstep, windowmaker, elightenment, and CDE and I have found that
Sawfish is the best of them.

| > This is why it can be very
| > useful to have another keyboard attached to the system in some way,
| > either a console on a serial line or via ssh from another machine.
| >
| > I've had some X lockups before, but usually ssh/telnet-ing in and
| > killing the offending app (not necessarily all of X) will correct the
| > situation.
| >
| > BTW, networking 2 machines is really easy.  All you need are a couple
| > lines in /etc/interfaces and a (crossover) cable connecting the 2
| > NICs.  Alternatively you could get a switch or hub and use a
| > straight-through cable for each NIC to the switch/hub.
|

| Actually the NIC's and cable are in place.  I just have to do the basic
| research here.  This is a part time project right now since I still earn
| money in the M$ world.

Ok, since you have the NICs and cable, I'll send you a snippet of my
/etc/network/interfaces file when I get home.  Just cut-n-paste it in
(adjusting any data as necessary) and you will have a connection.
Getting application-level connections to be useful can be a different
story, but the network-level connection is pretty easy once you have
the hardware.

-D