Re: Classic Windoze lockup while in X (Gnome)

Paul Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just had something scary (to me) happen.  I was in X (with Gnome)
> working on my favorite LT WinModem problem.  I was running Gnome Termnal
> and GnomePad+.  Potato 2.2.19pre17 with all other packages from the same
> official CD image D/L'd.
>
> As I was trying to find help with why I couldn't open a hidden file in
> GnomePad+ I clicked on something, Gnome Terminal seemed to get the focus
> with an I-Beam cursor (from GnomePad+ ?) and I had the symptoms of a
> classic MS Windoze lockup.  The mouse was dead.  I could not open a
> virtual terminal.  I could not shut down X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
> Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing.
>
> I reset my CPU, rebooted to Linux and went to /var/log to see what I
> could see.  I don't yet know what logs to look for but sorting by time
> seemed to only leave debug as relevant.  This is the only line in the
> time vicinity:
>
> Aug 15 00:52:29 joy gnome-name-server[629]: server_is_alive:
> cnx[IDL:help_browser/simple_browser:1.0] = (nil)
>
> Any clues or suggestions of what to read would be appreciated.

Not really, but if you have the chance to, try to login via ssh
and try to kill some X and gnome processes, or just restart gdm.
This worked for me. It does not really fix the problem at all, but
at least you won't have to hard-reset you machine (which is generally
a bad idea).

joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.