Re: Aaaarrrgggghhh!!!!

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:35:13 -0700
Monte Milanuk <milanuk@yahoo.com> wrote:

Discussing OSS and Debian

> I'd be interested in knowing _how_ you got it to work on a Debian box?
> Did you recompile your kernel?  According to the OSS docs,
>
> "- Debian Linux (most versions)
> The kernel image shipped with many Debian releases differs from the
> standard
> kernels. For this reason OSS will need the sndshield module to be
> rebuilt
> in your system. Unfortunately this may fail because the directory
> structure
> of Debian differes from all other Linux distributions. "
>
> It goes on to refer to how to deal with this under 'Solving "sndshield"
> version incompatibilities', but never really addresses the Debian
> situation.

I hadn't read that at all!!! I have always recompiled the Linux kernel, though. It is the first thing I do when I install a Linux system. I kind of like the idea that the kernel I use is actually built on *my* system and has only what I need compiled in. I tend to compile in much of what I need rather than using modules - that way everything works first time!

Having said that, I did nothing special for OSS, apart from removing the sound config from the kernel after I had installed it - I did nothing before. It installed perfectly. I did need to add 'soundon' manually to /etc/rc.boot - this consists of a simple command:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/soundon

OSS starts eavery time I boot and has been completely hassle free ever since.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000