Re: Aaaarrrgggghhh!!!!

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:38:49 +0100
Peter Hugosson-Miller <pehu@im.se> wrote:

> Monte Milanuk wrote:
>
> If you still have them, why don't you try to see if those OSS/commercial drivers
> work together with Debian?
>
> I for one would be _very_ interested to know if that works - it would probably be
> cheaper to buy commercial drivers for the card I have than to buy a new card
> (what do they charge BTW?).

I bought a motherboard with the KT133 chipset and AC97 on-board sound. Since I only had an old SoundBlaster ISA card, and I needed to use the one ISA slot on the new board for a SCSI scanner card, I decided to give the AC97 chip a chance.

Basically I read what I could on the 'net, and found I was spending so much time looking for the right way to do it, that I decided to go ahead and buy the commercial OSS drivers. I must say, the process was so easy - filled in the info on the web site, received the license file within a couple of minutes and had the whole thing installed inside of 5 minutes. The sound quality is better than my old SounBlaster 16 card too. Excellent!

They charge for the basic OSS utility then you pay extra for the module for your particular sound card/chipset. The cost was 15 USD for each, 30 USD total. AS you say, probably cheaper than buying a new card. I recently upgraded to the 2.4 kernel, and was able to download the 2.4-compatible driver from their website at no charge.

You can try an unlicensed version of the software which is time limited - a good way to see if it works for you.

The OSS web site is http://www.opensound.com/

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000