Re: Aaaarrrgggghhh!!!!

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:37:17PM -0700, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> "Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> > > # Card 1: (serial identifier b6 ff ff ff ff 35 68 63 0e)
> > > # Vendor Id CSC6835, No Serial Number (-1), checksum 0xB6.
> > > # Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.1
> > > # ANSI string -->CS4236B<--
> >                    ^^^^^^^^
> >                    This would indicate the accelerated cs4232.
> >                    I think I have more/less the same thing...
> >

> Whoops!  Sorry.  I searched for 'cs4236' and forgot to try 'CS4236'.  My
> bad.
>

> Ummm... didn't see anything in xconfig for a cs4236 driver...  course,
> it's been one of those weeks :(

Maybe need to enable experimental drivers?  Ahh, just looking and was
thinking of "Crystal Soundfusion (CS4280/CS461x)".  It came up in my
head because there's some connection with the CS4611 PCI audio
accelerator (which I have, but doesn't work with that driver).

> Whee! It says: modprobe sound, insmod ad1848, insmod uart401, insmod
> cs4232 io=* irq=* dma=* dma2=* and it gives nominal values, same as you
> gave. (about the only thing that is tickling my brain at this point is
> it refers to the io=0x534 being the same as the 'Windows Sound System'
> -- do I need to compile in the Microsoft Sound system module to kick
> this thing in gear?).  Tried that.  Still didn't work.  Same document
   No you don't want generic WSS (only 8-bit I think).

> says if this doesnt work, need to use Linux PnP.  So, I look in
> xconfig.  Yes, I enabled Plug-n-Pray.  It says to check out pnpdump,
> isapnp, and isapnp.conf.  So, I dug a bit thru the manpages for those

PNP shouldn't be required (though I've done it with both with no
difference -- 'cept some isapnp settings will make the sound worse
like in WSS mode).

> Whoohoo!  Looking good!  So I do a quick rmmod to remove my still
> uninitialized cs4232 module, and then do another 'insmod cs4232 io=0x534
> irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0'.  And this is what I got for my troubles:
>
> ishamael:/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound# insmod cs4232 io=0x534
> irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.18/misc/cs4232.o
>
> I ended up (as before) having to do a Cntrl+'c' to kill it to get my
> computer back.  I tried io=0x220 as well, hoping(praying) for SB
> compatibility, something.  Nada.
>
> </bash head against desk>
>
> Any idea's suggestions, I'm open to 'em.  Ugh, this is almost like
> work!!

Maybe consider forking over a couple bucks for a couple SB LIVE
soundcards?  I understand they're dirt cheap and work well for what they
do.  I don't understand why your machine would get stuck.  Do you have
your BIOS set to "PNP OS"?  If so, turn it off.  Think I've told you
'bout all I could think of.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>