Re: Help! Wrecking my system trying to get sound

--- "Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> wrote:

> You might try the new cs4236 driver in 2.2.17/2.2.18
> kernels.  I can't
> say if it's built by default in the Debian kernel images.
>  You can
> probably find out most of the info you need for the
> driver by using
> lspci (probably need to know I/O port, IRQ, and the two
> dma channels).
>
> If that driver doesn't work, the cs4232 one might.

I've been trying the cs4232.o module because of what I'd
read various places.  But I keep getting errors like (not
at that box right now):

/lib/modules/2.2.18pre1/cs4232.o device or resource busy
/lib/modules/2.2.18pre1/cs4232.o failed to install module

And when I _did_ try sndconfig, it spit out some message
about needing to set synthio and sythirq using the
wavefront facility.  I found a wavefront.o module, but I
also read somewhere on Deja that the synthio business was
just for some Turtle Beach sound boards?

So... I need to go get the latest 2.2.x kernel, compile it,
and during config look for either a cs4236(preferably) or
cs4232 module to install.  Do I still need the hardware
parameters to feed to it?  I take it this 'lspci' is what
I'd use to interrogate the motherboard for the needed info?
 Would you recommend compiling the driver as a module, or
straight into the kernel?

Thanks for the help,

Monte