Re: Aaaarrrgggghhh!!!!

"Eric G . Miller" wrote:

> > >                    ^^^^^^^^
> > >                    This would indicate the accelerated cs4232.
> > >                    I think I have more/less the same thing...
> > >

> > Whoops!  Sorry.  I searched for 'cs4236' and forgot to try 'CS4236'.  My
> > bad.
> >

> > Ummm... didn't see anything in xconfig for a cs4236 driver...  course,
> > it's been one of those weeks :(
>
> Maybe need to enable experimental drivers?  Ahh, just looking and was
> thinking of "Crystal Soundfusion (CS4280/CS461x)".  It came up in my
> head because there's some connection with the CS4611 PCI audio
> accelerator (which I have, but doesn't work with that driver).
>
> > Whee! It says: modprobe sound, insmod ad1848, insmod uart401, insmod
> > cs4232 io=* irq=* dma=* dma2=* and it gives nominal values, same as you
> > gave. (about the only thing that is tickling my brain at this point is
> > it refers to the io=0x534 being the same as the 'Windows Sound System'
> > -- do I need to compile in the Microsoft Sound system module to kick
> > this thing in gear?).  Tried that.  Still didn't work.  Same document
>    No you don't want generic WSS (only 8-bit I think).
>
> > says if this doesnt work, need to use Linux PnP.  So, I look in
> > xconfig.  Yes, I enabled Plug-n-Pray.  It says to check out pnpdump,
> > isapnp, and isapnp.conf.  So, I dug a bit thru the manpages for those
>
> PNP shouldn't be required (though I've done it with both with no
> difference -- 'cept some isapnp settings will make the sound worse
> like in WSS mode).
>
> > Whoohoo!  Looking good!  So I do a quick rmmod to remove my still
> > uninitialized cs4232 module, and then do another 'insmod cs4232 io=0x534
> > irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0'.  And this is what I got for my troubles:
> >
> > ishamael:/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound# insmod cs4232 io=0x534
> > irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
> > Using /lib/modules/2.2.18/misc/cs4232.o
> >
> > I ended up (as before) having to do a Cntrl+'c' to kill it to get my
> > computer back.  I tried io=0x220 as well, hoping(praying) for SB
> > compatibility, something.  Nada.
> >
> > </bash head against desk>
> >
> > Any idea's suggestions, I'm open to 'em.  Ugh, this is almost like
> > work!!
>
> Maybe consider forking over a couple bucks for a couple SB LIVE
> soundcards?  I understand they're dirt cheap and work well for what they
> do.  I don't understand why your machine would get stuck.  Do you have
> your BIOS set to "PNP OS"?  If so, turn it off.  Think I've told you
> 'bout all I could think of.

Well, I _have_ a Soundblaster AWE64, and a Soundblaster16(dunno if this
one works -- I 'inherited' it).  I'd tried the AWE64 awhile back, and it
seemed like things didn't want to play nicely, even w/ the onboard sound
disabled in the BIOS.  The main reasons I've been trying to get the
onboard sound working is a) the principle of the thing, and b) I've had
it working under RH w/ sndconfig (though w/ that damn 'pop'), and
flawlessly under SuSE 6.4 w/ the OSS/commercial drivers and SuSE
7.0/Mandrake 7.2 w/ whatever drivers they use.  Unfortunately, I never
dug around to see 'how', since things just 'worked'.

Thanks for all your help, Eric.  I really appreciate it.

Monte