Re: Help! Wrecking my system trying to get sound

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:34:22AM -0800, Monte Milanuk wrote:

> --- "Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> wrote:
> >
> > You might try the new cs4236 driver in 2.2.17/2.2.18
> > kernels.  I can't
> > say if it's built by default in the Debian kernel images.
> >  You can
> > probably find out most of the info you need for the
> > driver by using
> > lspci (probably need to know I/O port, IRQ, and the two
> > dma channels).
> >
> > If that driver doesn't work, the cs4232 one might.
>
> I've been trying the cs4232.o module because of what I'd
> read various places.  But I keep getting errors like (not
> at that box right now):
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.18pre1/cs4232.o device or resource busy
> /lib/modules/2.2.18pre1/cs4232.o failed to install module
>
> And when I _did_ try sndconfig, it spit out some message
> about needing to set synthio and sythirq using the
> wavefront facility.  I found a wavefront.o module, but I
> also read somewhere on Deja that the synthio business was
> just for some Turtle Beach sound boards?
>
> So... I need to go get the latest 2.2.x kernel, compile it,
> and during config look for either a cs4236(preferably) or
> cs4232 module to install.  Do I still need the hardware
> parameters to feed to it?  I take it this 'lspci' is what
> I'd use to interrogate the motherboard for the needed info?
>  Would you recommend compiling the driver as a module, or
> straight into the kernel?

Yea I'd grab a copy of 2.2.18 from ftp.kernel.org (or suitable mirror)
and try the cs4226 module (I recall it showed up in 2.2.17 and is for
these newer mobo/soundcard jobs).  You still probably want to try lspci
to get I/O, IRQ and DMA parameters.  It's easier to test different
parameters if you compile as a module.  To make it easier, you might
compile sound support directly into the kernel, but just make the cs4236
module separate.  Then maybe something like:

$ insmod cs4236 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1,0

Check the documentation in <kernel>/Documentation/sound for some hints.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any info on this module
specifically.

The best source for the module parameters would be the MoBo
documentation (but I'm sure Dell didn't provide it...).

Luck,

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>