Re: Possible to connect win95 to linux using ethernet boards?

At 07:12 PM 8/15/99 -0400, Aaron Solochek wrote:
>Well there is no doubt that both linux and windows use the same tcp/ip,
the question
>is just what you want to do?  you'll be able to use windows telnet and ftp
to gain
>access to your debian box (assuming you're running telnetd and ftpd) and
if you get
>ftp server software for windows you and ftp to the windows box.  I don't
think that
>samba will work over tcp/ip, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  But what
exactly are
>you trying to do?  Are you setting up a LAN?  Or are you trying to connect
two
>machines at different locations via the internet?

Thanks Aaron,
Crazy as this may sound, I'm trying to simulate a local connection to my
hosted domain so I can see how different perl scripts will react _before_ I
add them to my hosted domain.  I know i could simply ftp them to my hosted
domain and then test them but that is a pain because it takes soooooo long
to ftp files, access them with a browser to see if there are errors, edit
the scripts, and re-ftp them all over again.

Of course instead of connecting my two os's I could run netscape on my
linux system as http://localhost and see how the scripts handle with
netscape, but there are other browsers, etc that function differently. I
want to to see how the other browsers respond to the scripts.  Some scripts
work just fine on one browser but return blank pages on another.  Since not
all perl instructions work in a win95 environment I can't test them on my
win95 pc. Instead I have to run them on linux to get them to work locally,
then ftp them to my domain to see how they respond to different browsers by
accessing them with my win95 pc.

At 56k connections FTP'ing files to test them online is a very slow
process. I wish to avoid these hassles of ftp'ing the files to my hosted
domain to find out if the scripts work properly with a variety of browsers
when I can simply <g> connect my win95 pc to my linux pc and go for broke
locally.

I've considered purchasing that $299 software that allows me to virtually
run multiple os's on the same linux platform and at the same time but I
haven't found a recommendation from an actual user.

Oh, m linux pc also has win95 installed so once I have networked the two
pc's together I can hopefully play head-to-head games once in a while with
the kids :)

Andre'