Possible to connect win95 to linux using ethernet boards?

I'd like to connect my win95 pc to my debian linux system via tcp/ip but
don't know if there will be compatibility issues.

In theory it seems it should work smoothly since we can connect all kinds
of OS's via the internet.  On the otherhand, connecting remote systems may
not be as easy as dialing up via my isp.

Anyways I figured I'd better ask before I spent the money just to find out
different os's cannot connect in a lan or peer-to-peer environment.

Thanks

Andre'