Re: Possible to connect win95 to linux using ethernet boards?

André Bell wrote:

<snip>

> I've considered purchasing that $299 software that allows me to virtually
> run multiple os's on the same linux platform and at the same time but I
> haven't found a recommendation from an actual user.

If you're talking about vmware, I really like it. It's pretty
sluggish on my P5-233 with 64MB RAM when I've got WinNT4.0
Workstation running, and especially so when I've got Netscape
running also (on the Linux side). But it's usable. Of course,
vmware recommends a Pentium II, and I'm sure more RAM would help
a lot. I just acquired a PII-400 with 128MB RAM, so as soon as I
get it going I'll know more about how vmware performs on adequate
hardware.

> Oh, m linux pc also has win95 installed so once I have networked the two
> pc's together I can hopefully play head-to-head games once in a while with
> the kids :)

As to your original question, I've never done a
LinuxBox-DirectlyTo-WindowsBox ethernet connection, but I have
done a WindowsBox-DirectlyTo-WindowsBox ethernet connection. You
just have to use a crossover cable ("rolled" cable) or a
(mini-)hub. Then you could install Samba on your Linux box and
map drives from Windows to Linux, or mount drives from Linux to
Windows, just like on a full-blown network. As to the Samba
stuff, I'm pretty much a Linux newbie, but I figured out how to
do it on my network, so it can't be too hard.