Re: Possible to connect win95 to linux using ethernet boards?

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 09:12:16PM -0700, André Bell wrote:
> Thanks Aaron,
> Crazy as this may sound, I'm trying to simulate a local connection to my
> hosted domain so I can see how different perl scripts will react _before_ I
> add them to my hosted domain.  I know i could simply ftp them to my hosted
> domain and then test them but that is a pain because it takes soooooo long
> to ftp files, access them with a browser to see if there are errors, edit
> the scripts, and re-ftp them all over again.
>
> Of course instead of connecting my two os's I could run netscape on my
> linux system as http://localhost and see how the scripts handle with
> netscape, but there are other browsers, etc that function differently. I
> want to to see how the other browsers respond to the scripts.  Some scripts
> work just fine on one browser but return blank pages on another.  Since not
> all perl instructions work in a win95 environment I can't test them on my
> win95 pc. Instead I have to run them on linux to get them to work locally,
> then ftp them to my domain to see how they respond to different browsers by
> accessing them with my win95 pc.
>
> At 56k connections FTP'ing files to test them online is a very slow
> process. I wish to avoid these hassles of ftp'ing the files to my hosted
> domain to find out if the scripts work properly with a variety of browsers
> when I can simply <g> connect my win95 pc to my linux pc and go for broke
> locally.
>
> I've considered purchasing that $299 software that allows me to virtually
> run multiple os's on the same linux platform and at the same time but I
> haven't found a recommendation from an actual user.
>
> Oh, m linux pc also has win95 installed so once I have networked the two
> pc's together I can hopefully play head-to-head games once in a while with
> the kids :)
>
> Andre'

Answer to the subject heading: yes.

Standard solution is to mount Linux drive in Win95, after which you can
excess your files using file://.  Telnetting to your hosted site is
another idea that I saw in this thread.

Here, I have Win95 and Linux connected using 10base2 (coax); and, my
Linux can mount Win95 shared drive, but Win95, as yet, refuses to
"see" anything under Linux.

	Yours truly,
	William Park