Re: The hated xmltex/jadetex games in combination with new tex-common

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> I don't understand this. Shouldn't the initial
> /e/t/fmt.d/10texlive-latex-base.cnf still be present at this stage?

Yes, but the last change I made to update-fontlang (hence why Norbert
mentioned the "new tex-common") is the following one:

  * scripts/update-fontlang:
      - don't include ${conffile} in the generated file if
        ${conffile}.dpkg-new exists ($conffile may not be up-to-date in this
        case);
        see http://lists.debian.org/debian-tetex-maint/2006/06/msg00260.html
        for a discussion of this subject.

The reason is that the presence of the .dpkg-new file indicates that the
package shipping the .cnf file (in the case of update-fmtutil) is not
configured, and thus it may be shipping files that are not in sync with
the contents of the .cnf file (but would be in sync with the contents of
the .dpkg-new file; however, this one won't be considered by
update-fmtutil, of course).

You could encounter this as a real bug with the last lmodern upgrade:
the new package shipped a different set of map files than the previous
version; if you happened to unpack the new version and run
update-updmap/updmap-sys *before* configuring lmodern (update-updmap
could be run by another package being configured in the meantime, e.g.
tetex-base), you hit the bug: updmap-sys was using the old list of map
files (the new files were still listed only in 10lmodern.cfg.dpkg-new),
and some of these files weren't installed on the system anymore (since
the new lmodern version was unpacked, not the old one).

--
Florent