Re: ZFS'ing my T5120 with Debian

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 06:15:30PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> That depends on what someone means when they say "GRUB supports ZFS". Is
> it supported on Sun partition tables or on GPT partition tables? Do you
> still need a separate BIOS partition or not? Does it work differently
> on x86 systems and SPARC machines and so on?
>
> There are so many possible configurations that GRUB support that you cannot
> derive the fact that your particular configuration works or not from a
> generic statement. GRUB works quite differently on different platforms.

Understood.  That's why I said I was confused in the space between multiple
statements.  I don't expect to ever understand all of the variables, but am
also hoping I don't need to.  :-)

> Just add a boot partition for GRUB. It doesn't have to be large.

Okay.  But, as I mentioned, I don't want to have anything that exists on
only one spinning disk.  Is there a way to mirror a partition onto a second
disk that can still be something GRUB can load to/from?  It doesn't have to
be ZFS, but it does have to be replicated so that if a disk fails, I can
boot from another.

> >> Btw, I'm surprised to read that the T5120 supports GPT disk labels? I
> >> thought that GPT is supported on T4 and newer only.
> >
> > I believe the same, I don't know what that error message means.  I know that
> > I do have sun labels, not GPT labels, on my disks.
>
> Can you print your partition layout with parted and post it here?

Attached.  Oh.  I see now that I was wrong, only the fourth disk (what I did
the initial install onto, and plan to make a ZFS spare) is sun.  The other
three are gpt.  So, may be totally unusable anyway.  But, it explains the
message grub gave me.  Clearly I've gone astray somewhere. :-)

So, if we presume that my T5120 won't handle gpt disks, then I'll have to
repartition the first three disks back to sun.  At which point, I may or
may not have the exact same problem with grub if I make them only have one
bit zfs partition.  Before I do that, I'm happy to hear suggestions of what
partitions to put on those disks when switching them to a sun partition table.

                 - Chris

Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 147GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      1049kB  147GB  147GB   zfs          zfs-4c7e86efe57e2048
 9      147GB   147GB  8389kB

Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 147GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      1049kB  147GB  147GB   zfs          zfs-31469670368b53e5
 9      147GB   147GB  8389kB

Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 147GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      1049kB  147GB  147GB   zfs          zfs-b9a4576a0888cf77
 9      147GB   147GB  8389kB

Model: SEAGATE ST914603SSUN146G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 147GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: sun
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Flags
 1      0.00B   98.7MB  98.7MB  ext2            boot
 2      98.7MB  30.1GB  30.0GB  ext4
 4      30.1GB  46.5GB  16.5GB  linux-swap(v1)
 5      46.5GB  147GB   100GB   ext4