Re: ZFS'ing my T5120 with Debian

On 05/26/2018 06:08 PM, Chris Ross wrote:
>> That error message is quite clear: You have to set up a separate non-ZFS
>> partition which serves as a boot partition. Booting from a ZFS partition
>> using blocklists doesn't work.
>
> Though, the conversation earlier covered that grub supports ZFS.  You say above
> that booting from a ZFS partition using blocklists doesn't work.  There's
> something I'm not understanding in the space across those two statements.

That depends on what someone means when they say "GRUB supports ZFS". Is
it supported on Sun partition tables or on GPT partition tables? Do you
still need a separate BIOS partition or not? Does it work differently
on x86 systems and SPARC machines and so on?

There are so many possible configurations that GRUB support that you cannot
derive the fact that your particular configuration works or not from a
generic statement. GRUB works quite differently on different platforms.

> FreeBSD has a zfsbootloader, which is what I've been using.  And, whether
> I can use ZFS or not, I don't think I want to start down the path of booting
> from magnetic media that isn't replicated onto another spindle.  If debian
> will let me boot from ZFS, how do I do it?  If it won't, are there other options
> to boot from mirrored filesystems?

Just add a boot partition for GRUB. It doesn't have to be large.

>> Btw, I'm surprised to read that the T5120 supports GPT disk labels? I
>> thought that GPT is supported on T4 and newer only.
>
> I believe the same, I don't know what that error message means.  I know that
> I do have sun labels, not GPT labels, on my disks.

Can you print your partition layout with parted and post it here?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz