Re: ZFS'ing my T5120 with Debian

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 08:54:21PM +0100, James Clarke wrote:
> On 22 May 2018, at 20:40, Chris Ross <cross+debian@distal.com> wrote:
> > 1) It it suspected that I can boot from a RAIDZ on sparc64? (Does zfs-linux
> > and grub allow for that on any arch?)
>
> In theory; raidz1/2/3 are listed in the GRUB manual[1], and later[2] has an example
> FreeBSD ZFS menuentry.

Thanks.  That makes it looks like the support for ZFS within grub can handle
raidz, so a good sign.

> The Arch Wiki also has some information on ZFS[3] that may prove useful.

Ooh.  That's a little odd, but also notes that it frequently goes out of date.
I may have to look for an alternate reference to find out what features grub
is known to be confused by, and make sure none of those are turned on.  If
someone has a good pointer to info on these in grub, of the grub version
we were recently discussing for use on sparc64 debian, I'd appreciate it.

> You might be able to boot d-i, skip partitioning and install to the root.
> Alternatively you could install to a small ext4 partition and then copy it to the
> ZFS volume(s). Otherwise you'll need to do a manual debootstrap and whatever other
> required configuration steps d-i performs.

Booting an installer may not work, though, since I need ZFS support in the
system I'm running.  To get a d-i with ZFS built in, I presume I'd have to
build my own.  Which I could, but don't know that I know how.  If I can use
something like debian-installer, I'd like to, but need one that can mount
up my ZFS filesystems.  Otherwise, I guess I need to find a guide of how to
do it the lower-level way.  ([1] looks valuable)

Thanks.

                 - Chris

[1] https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Stretch-Root-on-ZFS