Re: ZFS'ing my T5120 with Debian

On 22 May 2018, at 20:40, Chris Ross <cross+debian@distal.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 01:54:36PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
>> I have a T5120 currently running on sdd, and want to install a fresh debian
>> on ZFS datasets on sda through sdc.  I want to install a fresh OS onto those
>> zvols.  How much of that process is built into just running the debian
>> installer, and how much will I need to manually set up?  I assume I need to
>> create the zfs volumes, which I'm comfortable doing. (First, does anyone know
>> if booting from RAIDZ works, or if I need to use ZFS mirror (as I did on
>> FreeBSD)?
>>
>> After that is there a "install everything" process, or a set of steps I
>> need to take one at a time to install pieces, set up disks for booting, and/or
>> other things.
>
>  Hello again.  Am hoping for answers to two questions:
>
> 1) It it suspected that I can boot from a RAIDZ on sparc64? (Does zfs-linux
> and grub allow for that on any arch?)

In theory; raidz1/2/3 are listed in the GRUB manual[1], and later[2] has an example
FreeBSD ZFS menuentry. The Arch Wiki also has some information on ZFS[3] that may
prove useful.

> 2) What do I need to do after creating ZFS volumes to perform a base install
> onto those filesystems.  I have them all mounted onto an alt-root, is the next
> step getting/running debian-installer, or another "please install the whole OS"
> process?

You might be able to boot d-i, skip partitioning and install to the root.
Alternatively you could install to a small ext4 partition and then copy it to the
ZFS volume(s). Otherwise you'll need to do a manual debootstrap and whatever other
required configuration steps d-i performs.

Regards,
James

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Features
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Multi_002dboot-manual-config