Re: MRs on salsa and letting janitor automate things

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 08:42:59AM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 03:55:05PM -0800, Dima Kogan wrote:
> > Hi. I've been manually checking the merge requests, and have been
> > accepting most of them. There is one thing the janitor does that I don't
> > agree with, and I'd be against any automated merging of those patches.
> > This is adding Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (=WHATEVER). Such
> > dependencies break building of the package on anything other than sid,
> > and are thus unhelpful. If you can stop the janitor from making this
> > change, that'd probably be good.
> >

> That sounds reasonable. I am adding in Jelmer to the thread, so they could
> help tweak it for debian-science@ commits/MRs

Done, see https://salsa.debian.org/jelmer/janitor.debian.net/-/commit/465c8a43ad2e70f2acd0f8f8928f80771ed6d483

Please let me know if I should tweak that further, e.g. exclude certain packages or keep
certain packages backportable to oldstable.

debhelper-c<ompat (= 13) should work in anything from stable onwards, since that
carries debhelper 13. If you're looking to avoid anything that's not available
in e.g. oldstable or ubuntu lts rather than specifically excluding
"debhelper-compat (= X)", the janitor also has a setting for the minimum release
to support.

Cheers,

Jelmer