MRs on salsa and letting janitor automate things

Hi folks

tl;dr: there lots of untriaged MRs on salsa; let's permit Janitor to automatically commit its updates

There are lots of MRs on salsa for science-team packages that are open. Many of these have been open for months and many have no comments, triage or feedback visible on salsa. Many of these have been made by first time contributors who, by virtue of their MRs sitting unacknowledged and unmerged for months, think we don't care. That's not our intended message!

Attached are:

* a list of MRs that are currently open on salsa (sorted by package)

* associated dd-list of maintainers/uploaders for these packages

If you don't currently get notified about MRs being opened for packages you are interested in, I encourage you to tweak your salsa notification preferences. My approach to this is to "star" packages for which I am maintainer, uploader, or otherwise interested enough in that I'd like to see notifications for MRs.

In amongst the human-generated MRs, there was also a huge number of automated MRs from the Janitor bot. Over the last couple of days I've been through Janitor's MRs (about 200 of them). These are all really simple changes, each of which I checked and almost all of them I have merged.

For those not familiar with Janitor, it looks for easy to fix issues in the packaging that are flagged by lintian (or other similar tools) and fixes them. Unlike lintian, it has internet access and knowledge of the Debian archive, so it can do extra things like update upstream homepages or remove obsolete version constraints on packages. Janitor's fixes range from pedantic to very useful; even the more pedantic ones steadily improve the signal:noise of lintian and so lintian becomes more useful on those packages.

	https://janitor.debian.net/

I propose that we let Janitor make these commits directly rather than opening MRs; quite a few other teams in Debian have done this and it is working well. Janitor has proven itself to be reliable and useful. Since we've now been able to see that Janitor's changes are OK for a few years, we can safely cut out the manual work and just let the bot get on with its work. Comments?

regards
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott   http://www.nanonanonano.net/   stuart@nanonanonano.net
Debian Developer  http://www.debian.org/         stuart@debian.org

Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
   python-jsondiff (U)
   virtuoso-opensource (U)

Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org>
   dune-pdelab (U)

Anton Gladky <gladk@debian.org>
   freeimage (U)
   libqglviewer (U)
   solvespace (U)
   vtk9 (U)

Balint Reczey <balint@balintreczey.hu>
   irstlm (U)

Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
   bcolz

Debian Science Maintainers <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   armadillo
   bornagain
   calculix-ccx-doc
   dune-pdelab
   freeimage
   hepmc3
   irstlm
   libqglviewer
   python-jsondiff
   python-meshplex
   qd
   siconos
   solvespace
   tango
   virtuoso-opensource
   xtensor

Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   gftl-shared
   paraview
   vtk9

Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org>
   python-meshplex (U)
   xtensor (U)

Gert Wollny <gewo@debian.org>
   vtk9 (U)

Ghislain Antony Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com>
   freeimage (U)

Giulio Paci <giuliopaci@gmail.com>
   irstlm (U)

HepMC developers <hepmc-dev@NOSPAM.cern.ch>
   hepmc3 (U)

Koichi Akabe <vbkaisetsu@gmail.com>
   irstlm (U)

Kumar Appaiah <akumar@debian.org>
   armadillo (U)

Mika Pflüger <debian@mikapflueger.de>
   bornagain (U)

Mo Zhou <cdluminate@gmail.com>
   hepmc3 (U)

Nico Schlömer <nico.schloemer@gmail.com>
   vtk9 (U)

Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org>
   gftl-shared (U)

Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <picca@debian.org>
   bornagain (U)
   tango (U)

Sebastien Delafond <seb@debian.org>
   bornagain (U)

Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@gmail.com>
   siconos (U)

whitequark <whitequark@whitequark.org>
   solvespace (U)

Will Daniels <mail@willdaniels.co.uk>
   virtuoso-opensource (U)

Wolfgang Fütterer <debian@wlf-online.de>
   calculix-ccx-doc (U)

science-team/armadillo

Id: 26203
Title: Install cmake package and pkgconfig files. Closes #954927