Re: MRs on salsa and letting janitor automate things

Hi David

On 27/11/2022 23:29, David Bremner wrote:
Personally I often find it hard to prioritize understanding the MRs from
the janitor, and I'm not comfortable with having a bot commit to a repo
that I am responsible for. Perhaps I'm just old fashioned. I'm an
uploader only for a tiny fraction of the team's packages, so my views
should not block anything.

A few years ago when Janitor was new, I felt the same uneasiness about letting it commit things. I've since changed my view for a few reasons:

* Nothing gets uploaded without human eyes looking at it anyway

* It's git, so you can you just revert anything that is a problem, should that actually be the case in reality (and having processed many hundreds of Janitor merges, I am yet to see any that were); and the issues I speculated about at first with this have turned out to be imagined rather than real

* Janitor's ability to edit files without reformatting them has improved and so its changes are small, targeted, and easily readable

* its commits are small and simple ­— the vast majority of the commits I just merged from Janitor were (a) fixing whitespace errors, (b) removing obsolete and unneeded version constraints, (c) adding simple multi-arch headers. These are all nice to have, safe, and simple.

* Janitor has been a member of some big Debian teams for a couple of years and has been successful in those teams — Janitor has been committing directly to git repos in both the Perl and Python teams for around two years.

> I guess I can always pull a few packages from
> the team space on Salsa.

That is quite contrary to what both Janitor and I are hoping to do here. The point is to enhance the team and to remove the boring work. Given Janitor has been committing directly to Perl repos that you are responsible for already, perhaps this isn't as much of a change as feared?

cheers
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott   http://www.nanonanonano.net/   stuart@nanonanonano.net