Re: MRs on salsa and letting janitor automate things

On 28/11/2022 18:22, Nilesh Patra wrote:
On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 05:45:02PM +1100, Stuart Prescott wrote:
On 28/11/2022 10:55, Dima Kogan wrote:
Hi. I've been manually checking the merge requests, and have been
accepting most of them. There is one thing the janitor does that I don't
agree with, and I'd be against any automated merging of those patches.
This is adding Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (=WHATEVER). Such
dependencies break building of the package on anything other than sid,
and are thus unhelpful. If you can stop the janitor from making this
change, that'd probably be good.

Can you expand on this a bit? There are plenty of packages with B-D on
debhelper-compat (= 13) that are backported to the current stable and
oldstable releases without any changes.

I _suppose_ this is their use-case:

I short, Dima maintains apt repos for packages that are used in many distributions
and setting compat as 13 or whatever breaks the build for them.

Sounds like throwing a backport of debhelper into the local repos for backports would be a good idea too. It's a trivially backportable package which then lets everything else backport more easily. (Dima, please let me know if I can help with that)

Thanks for the extra context, Nilesh!

cheers
Stuart

--