Re: science-imageanalysis (Was: [RFC] New task: science-dataacquisition)

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Chris Walker wrote:
>
> > Will just adding the tasks file add it to the list, or is there an
> > index that needs editing as well?
>
> There is no index.  Every file in the task directory is parsed.
>
> > Given rough consensus on a task's contents, I can probably do that.
>
> This would be great.
>
> > [1] My objection to including gnudatalanguage in the dataacquisition
> > task was partially a knee jerk reaction to including a subset of 6
> > (now 7) packages in every task.

Actually on counting them, I realise that there are 8 Matlab/IDL like
packages.

I have therefore created a "Numerical Computation" package and
uploaded it.

I don't feel the description fully captures what I want it to say, so
suggestions for improvement appreciated. The name is not set in stone
either.

Task: Numerical Computation
 This metapackage will install Debian Science packages useful for
 numerical computation. The packages provide an array oriented
 calculation and visualisation system for scientific computing and
 data analysis. These packages are similar to commercial systems such
 as Matlab and IDL.

Depends: octave | octave3.0 | octave3.1
Why: numerical programming environment similar to Matlab

Suggests: octaviz
Why: 3D visualisaion system for Octave

Depends: python-matplotlib, python-scipy, ipython, numpy
Why: numerical programming environment similar to Matlab

Depends: pdl
Why: numerical programming environment similar to Matlab

Depends: gnudatalanguage
Why: numerical programming environment compatible with IDL

Depends: scilab

Depends: freemat

Depends: yoric