Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Hi Andreas,

You replied to a message more than a week old, and missed an option
which came up last week, see below.

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 16:33 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Manuel Prinz wrote:
>
> > Sure. So, to summarize, we have the following options:
> >
> >     1. The references are added to the long description
> >     2. The references are added to Packages via a new X-* field
> >     3. The references are added to debian/copyright
> >     4. The references are supplied in a file under ./debian and
> >        installed in a common location (via debhelper or other methods)
> >             1. in an already widely-used bibliographic format
> >             2. in a RFC822 format that is converted to other formats on
> >                installation
> >
> > To me, only 4) is an option, and I prefer to go the 4.1 route.

5. The package maintainer includes reference file(s) where (s)he sees
fit, with an index pointing to them and indicating their format in
the .doc-base file.

> Thanks for sumarizing these options.  My opinion about these options
> is not that strong.  I admit I can understand your motivation for your
> preference.  I do not really want to use this as an argument but I
> would just want to note that your prefered choice is the option that
> makes the implementation on the tasks page the hardest amongst all
> the options.  I do not see this as an unresolvable problem but it delays
> the implementation the most.

Option 5 doesn't delay implementation at all, and allows later versions
of doc-base parsers to build any number of centralized reference indices
by aggregating the packages' reference files.

Is there a reason you didn't consider it?  Do you think one of 1-4 is
better?

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/