Re: What to do if Homepage seems to have vanished

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:

One low-tech thing that one could do is just put, in the package long
description, a note that the software is dead upstream.  Personally, I
think that's often information worthy of being in the long description;
one purpose of the long description, after all, is to provide help to a
user trying to pick between multiple packages that may solve their
problem.

I agree that we could do this as well, but IMHO I do not think that
we could expect this to happen soon in those packages who really
deserve this information.  These packages tend to have a low upload
frequency and low attendance of the maintainer.  They are hard to
detect to start a MBF effort.  So even if I agree that the low-tech
suggestion makes sense I have doubts that it is easy to realise.

My question was raised when I prepared the Debian-Med tasks pages
that revealed to be a nice QA tool as well.  If you have a look at

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio.php

you notice many entries that say:

   "Homepage not available"

followed by a Homepage link in the long description.  Well, I could
easily tweak my code that generates these pages to fetch the Homepage
information but I did not intentionally because it is some information
that the package was probably not touched since the Homepage tag
was officially used in debian/control.  I would like to have this
fixed for all packages in Debian-Med as an inofficial Lenny release
goal and these entries just ring a bell for the moment.

Lesson learned for QA:

  1. We should perhaps do some Mass Bug Filing "Homepage tag in
     long description."
  2. (the topic of this mail) decide what to do if a package
     does really have no homepage.
  3. (to be discussed) Make Homepage tag mandatory in debian/control.
     I'm in favour of this but did not raised this issue before
     we even have a decision about 2.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--