Re: What to do if Homepage seems to have vanished

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> Well, I do not really care about the _content_ of a homepage of the
> project.  I care about the _existence_.  The fact that there is _no_
> homepage or there _was_ a homepage and is not _anymore_ is IMHO an
> important piece of information that I want to give our users at a
> prominent place (like debian/control because it is forewarded to the
> places where you come in touch with the package).  If it is about
> documentation users will go to /usr/share/doc/<pkgname> and it is easy
> to put the content of the formerly existing page to this place.  (In
> fact I did so for the package in question I used as an example even when
> the homepage existed.)  A not existing homepage just says something
> about the vitality of the project, the frequency of updated you could
> expect, the chances to get wishlist bugs solved etc.

One low-tech thing that one could do is just put, in the package long
description, a note that the software is dead upstream.  Personally, I
think that's often information worthy of being in the long description;
one purpose of the long description, after all, is to provide help to a
user trying to pick between multiple packages that may solve their
problem.