Re: What to do if Homepage seems to have vanished

On Saturday 16 February 2008 11:59:29 pm Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm maintaining the package fastdnaml and wanted to move the Homepage
> information I putted into the long description formerly to the Homepage
> tag of the control file.  When doing so I verified that the home page is
> correct but failed.  The project seems to have vanished from the web.
> I have to check this but I'm asking for general advise - it might be
> the case for other packages.  IMHO it would be some valuable information
> for the user that there is no homepage.  It is different if the
> Homepage tag in the description is just missing or whether we explicitely
> state that there is no homepage available.
>
> This would require a certain keyword because it would make no sense for
> the tools who build web pages from the control info to "not available"
> or something like that.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Kind regards
>
>      Andreas.
>
> --
> http://fam-tille.de

AFAICT, it would seem that didiwiki is in this group as well. I found plenty
of links to it's nonexistant homepage. It's a frusterating situation, since
most users (myself included) expect to be able to go to the homepage and
find out more about the package.

I see no reason they shouldn't be kept, assuming they are properly
maintained. But it'd be nice to know for sure that they have no
homepage :).

--
Sincerely,
Jack Mudge