Re: First motif commits

Recent changes (19 February)

Hi, I just wanted to clear up a few things regarding the recent changes I committed.

1. FTBFS on Ubuntu Raring:
I had recently upgraded a test machine to Raring for another project and decided to try building motif on it.  I encountered numerous error similar to the following:
/usr/bin/ld: wmldbcreate.o: undefined reference to symbol 'XtStrings'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XtStrings' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXt.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXt.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
I was able to fix these by explicitly linking -lXt, -lXext and lX11 where necessary.
'Fix FTBS on Ubunutu Raring' is a terrible description for the patch as it describes the symptom rather than the underlying cause.
I'd like to rename (sorry) the patch and come up with a better description once I fully understand what changed in Raring.
I think the following page holds the answer:
http://wiki.debian.org/ToolChain/DSOLinking

2. Build Motif with JPG and PNG support:
After being able to build motif on Raring, I noticed there were additional symbols.  I found that my test machine had libjpeg8-dev and libpng12-dev installed and this caused motif to build with additional support for these image types.  I believe we should build motif with JPG and PNG support, and found that motif is built this way in Red Hat [2].
I have not made any changes yet to the symbols files.

3. Fix buffer overrun in lib/Xm/FontS.c:
I was looking at the upstream git [1] and found the only change since the 2.3.4 release was this buffer overrun fix committed on 31 October 2012.  I figured we should include it.

If you agree on the above changes, I will write up a changelog describing them.

[1]: git://git.code.sf.net/p/motif/code