Re: How does team maintenace of python module works?

On 02/15/2013 02:04 AM, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> I'm not against switching to Git

Hi Dmitry,

I believe there's some misunderstanding, so I must make it square.
Again, I'm *not* asking for a full switch (or any switch at all) of all
(or even some) packages of the python module team. I have *NEVER*
written such thing, so could anyone writing in this tread refrain from
switching to this topic? If you do want to talk about it (which would be
a great move, IMO), do it in another thread, or at least not as a reply
to my message.

What's happening is that some of the python modules which I maintain in
Git can continue to be maintained this way. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'm perfectly fine using git-svn for what exists already under the team
maintenance. However these:

python-cinderclient
python-cloudfiles
python-django-appconf
python-django-compressor
python-django-openstack-auth
python-extras
python-glanceclient
python-json-patch
python-json-pointer
python-jsonschema
python-keystoneclient
python-novaclient
python-pecan
python-quantumclient
python-swiftclient
python-tablib
python-warlock

which I have to maintain because they are dependencies of Openstack, I
am using some git commands in debian/rules to:
- generate the orig.tar.xz out of the git tree using "git archive"
- generate the MANIFEST.in using "git ls-files" (not on all pkgs though)
- generate the upstream changelog using "git log"  (not on all pkgs though)

Also, upstream is using git, so being able to cherry-pick -x some
commits is quite convenient. Absolutely *all* of upstream packages are
hosted or mirrored on Github.

My build process of "openstack-pkg-builder" (scripts hosted on Alioth to
make sure that Openstack is easily "bootstrapable") is using git to
clone the packaging branch from Alioth, and the upstream branch from Github.

We also have some Jenkins jobs doing some basic checks (for the moment,
building in a cowbuilder, soon, piuparts too), also using Git.

Switching to SVN would be a brainless time consuming move, which I do
not intend to even debate. If it's mandatory to use SVN, I wont maintain
them inside the python module team, full stop.

So my request was: would the python module team accept *these packages*
to be maintained in Git? (probably, the python-*client will stay in the
Openstack Git repository on Alioth though)

Thomas