Re: How does team maintenace of python module works?

On 02/14/2013 04:53 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>>> If the team is in Maintainer field, I think you can freely upload the
>>> new version. See
>>> <http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/PythonModulesTeam/HowToJoin#Policy_About_Maintainer_and_Uploaders_Fields>
>>> for details.
>
> Bug fixing is always fine for team-maintained pkgs, but just throwing
> a new upstream release into the repository and they disappear is *not*
> what team maintenance is for

What makes you think that this is the kind of behavior that I will
adopt? Please don't without giving me the opportunity to do maintenance
work. Also, the fact that I'm introducing myself and asking what the
team rules is a good sign that I really do intend to do team work, and
integrate with whatever your work-flow is.

> (which might be the situation at hand
> given zigo just joined and we don't have any history); so please at
> least try to get in contact with the uploaders first (isn't it xnox?)

I did and received no reply. See:

which is what made me ask in this list, as I really need the module to
be updated (it's a build-dependency of other things I maintain).

Now, I will continue to use SVN for the modules maintained inside the
team, but I don't think I will put my currently maintained python
modules in SVN, as I prefer Git.

IMO, it's not very nice that you don't at least give the choice, and
impose an inferior VCS, especially considering that most (in fact,
currently *absolutely all*) upstream authors of the python modules I
maintain are using Git (and github), which makes it quit convenient to
use Git.

Is there a valid reason despite history? Is there a chance that this
rule may be reconsidered? It'd be really nice, as I'm sure I wouldn't be
the only one happy with such decision.

Cheers, and thanks for the many replies,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)