Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 03:46:50PM +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Thu Jun 25 13:23, Mark Brown wrote:

> > I stopped being an AM largely as a result of the introduction of the
> > templated questions.  I felt that all I was doing was shooting enormous

> I didn't think that using the templates was required for AMs, merely a
> useful tool. I think AMs should be able to check to their satisfaction
> in other ways as appropriate, as long as it produces a similar result

In theory.  In practice that wasn't the impression that was given; the
impression that was given was that they really really should be used.
Even if I had carried on it was uncomfortable knowing that there
presence or absence of the templates varied.

> (you are happy that the candidate _does_ know all those things and will
>  probably get them right in practice).

Personally I think it's far more interesting to try to get an idea of
how they'll handle things if they're working on something they've not
looked at before and how they'll handle things when stuff doesn't go
according to plan.  The big lists of questions kind of work against
this.