Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 02:36:15PM -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:21:21PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > I didn't think that using the templates was required for AMs, merely a
> > > useful tool. I think AMs should be able to check to their satisfaction
> > > in other ways as appropriate, as long as it produces a similar result
> > > (you are happy that the candidate _does_ know all those things and
> > > will probably get them right in practice).
> >
> > For example, my AM mostly did not use templates for my application.
> > However, doing it that way is quite a bit more work for the AM.
>
> True, especially given that the AM has to ensure that the applicant
> conforms not only to the standards (s)he desires, but also to the
> expectations of FD and DAM. It's not surprising that people prefer the
> templates, given this situation, plus some extra tasks for the
> applicant.

Yes. When I was an AM (long time ago) I tried to use standard questions
as less as possible, and preferred to discuss with the applicant how (s)he
would handle certain problems, either ones that I had made up, or something
from the packaging problems I had experienced with my own packages. I found
that much more interesting, certainly for me, and I hope also for the
applicant. Until I discovered that the FD-at-that-time went back to the
applicant after I had submitted my report and asked additional questions
from the standard list. I think it was because the DAM-at-that-time wa not
happy with my style. That is when I quit being an AM.

-Ralf.