Re: Debian UK

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:01:12AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Henning Makholm (henning@makholm.net) wrote:
> > Scripsit MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop>
> > > Well, there's a BIG similarity:
> > > * both took the debian name for business use without consent;
> > You are pretty much the only one who asserts that Debian UK has
> > anything at all to do with "business". Despite being asked for
> > clarification several times, you have spectacularly failed to
> > document, or even argue for, this assertion.
> > The rest of us conclude that your assertion is simply false, and that
> > you somehow has a personal axe to grind which has no grounding in
> > reality.
> I'd have to disagree with this.  It's certainly commercial in what it
> does and that's been frowned upon by DDs for Debian/SPI in the US.
> Also, just because there aren't more people saying it looks like a
> business doesn't mean it isn't one.

It's just a more formal, more accountable situation than what was
happening before when Steve shoved Debian money into a shoebox under his
bed.

It's not there as an evil overlord "business" and participants on
debian-uk are bored silly explaining this over and over.  Still Mark [0]
persists in grinding his axe.  Hell he's even said he's going to on this
list: ``c. I slowly work through "Not In Our Name"-style tactics.''

The supposed "business" is selling things like Debian CDs and DVDs and
t-shirts with Debian emblazened on them.  I can't honestly see why
anyone on this list would object to that.  Do you Stephen?

It's all about promoting Debian in all the right ways by going to expos
and events in the UK.

I don't understand why Mark is so against this promotion of Debian,
funding of some Debian related trips and yes, occasionally bits of
sustenance by way of thanks for hard working people manning an expo
stand.

I just don't get it.

Nothing here is going to hurt Debian; the DPL got dragged into the
debate and has approved the use of the trademark; and the people
involved (Steve, Phil, Vince, others who man the stall year in year out)
get their hard and well justified work derided in public.

I realise that money can be very devisive but these are relatively small
amounts of money used well for the good of Debian.

How MJ Ray can kick up so much fuss about this and still claim to be
working for Debian and Free Software is beyond me.

> Also, who exactly is 'the rest of us'?  It certainly doesn't include
> me and I'd claim that it doesn't include anyone but you.  If there are
> people who specifically agree with you then let them speak for
> themselves.

Do you really want this to turn into a whole thread of "I see no problem
with Debian UK either!" ?

[0] http://db.debian.org can't be wrong can it?

--
----------(  "Just wait. My crystal ball is infallible." --  )----------