Re: Debian UK (was Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks)

Em Sex, 2005-09-02 às 18:38 +0100, MJ Ray escreveu:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > Why should *charities* get special consideration, anyway?  Being a
> > charity doesn't automatically make them aligned with Debian's goals.
> Indeed, which is why debian should reach consensus before they
> trade. I think charities should get some special consideration
> because law enforces some level of openness and honour not
> required of other organisations.

I must remember that you're restrictive to UK law. In Brasil, for
instance, there is no such thing as "charity organization". We have
NGO's which are simply civil associations, not-for-profit, in general.
If a NGO fullfill a set of requirements, it can be certified as a "Civil
Organization for the Public Interest (OCIP)", which means that it can
receive gov's money, and just that.

So, a NGO (even a OCIP) is allowed to trade things, because the question
(in the brazillian sense) is if there is profit or not. I mean, selling
something for a value greater than the cost is *not* profit. Profit (in
the brazillian sense) is the value that is shared among share-holders
after the balance.

So, let's not stick to country-specific laws...

daniel