Re: Debian UK (was Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks)

Em Seg, 2005-09-05 às 21:31 +0100, MJ Ray escreveu:
> "Charity" is not country-specific. At the very least, Japan (according
> to JACO) and Canada (CharityVillage) also have charities with similar
> conditions of openness to the UK.

Well... That's not true for Brasil, and may be the case for other
countries too.

> DUS is not registered as a charity, so just like organisations in a
> country with no "charity" concept, it could use one of the other ways
> I mentioned.

So, are we going to stablish the criterias for organizations to have the
right of using the Debian name? Like a type of fair-use?

It can be a good idea... something like... "Organizations that follows
x,y,z will have an automatic license of using the Debian trademark"...

... but ...

I'm just remembering that if we say "charity", we'll have to say...
* In UK, charity organizations
* In Brasil, Civil Organizations for the Public Interest
and so on...

And this could be a bigger problem for informal organizations, like user
groups around the world...

Couldn't we just avoid the problem by acting reactivelly? I mean, do you
really think that DUS is not a fair-use of the Debian trademark? Do you
realize that it will impact all user groups around which uses the Debian
name?

> Same rules should apply to all. Agreed?

Yes! That's all I'm saying, and that's what worries me.

daniel