Re: Debian UK (was Re: What the DFSG really says about trademarks)

Em Seg, 2005-09-05 às 12:55 +0100, MJ Ray escreveu:
> Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> skribis:
> > Em Sex, 2005-09-02 =E0s 18:38 +0100, MJ Ray escreveu:
> > > [...] I think charities should get some special consideration
> > > because law enforces some level of openness and honour not
> > > required of other organisations.
> >
> > I must remember that you're restrictive to UK law.
> Did you mean that as agressively as I read it?

Sorry if it looked that way, it's just my bad english writing skills.

> I'm not restrictive, but English law is what I'm most familiar
> with, so if I generalise brokenly, or you use another place's
> law, corrections or explanations are needed. Maybe I should
> have named www.charitycommission.gov.uk before, for example.
> Where do charities exist but not need any openness or honour?
> > In Brasil, for
> > instance, there is no such thing as "charity organization".
> Then no groups would get special consideration from that
> clause of my suggestion. What's the problem?

The problem is using country-specific definitions for a supra-national
organization. The rules applied by Debian to DUS should apply to any
other organization in the world.

> > So, a NGO (even a OCIP) is allowed to trade things, because the question
> > (in the brazillian sense) is if there is profit or not.  I mean, selling
> > something for a value greater than the cost is *not* profit. Profit (in
> > the brazillian sense) is the value that is shared among share-holders
> > after the balance.
> That sounds more like dividends than profits to me.

Yes. A not-for-profit organization (at least in Brasil) don't share the
profits among the share-holders, I mean, don't pay dividends. It can
have, on the other hand, a super-avit (I don't know if this word exists
in english) and reinvest it on projects that met the objectives of the

>  It's debatable whether DUS's meals and booze-ups is paying members
>  dividends-in-kind or funding promotional events.

If promotional events are in the list of objectives, then it's not

But what I'm really trying to say is that this discussion should not be
DUS-specific, but take into account other organizations around the