Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:54:11PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:32:55AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > > My reasoning is roughly:
> > > 1. how much of a problem is WebCollage? (10% porn finds. ow)
> > even 1 is too much in the family, school, whatever case.
>
> Depends on the family. Mine doesn't even lock the porno channels
> on the TV AFAICR. There's nudity in quite a lot of the adverts on
> some channels, too. We watch who's controlling the TV sets, as far
> as possible. Is it a bug in our TV sets that porno isn't autolocked?

But you have to switch to those chanels, as opposed to the screensaver showing
them to whoever behind your back.

> Just the same as with the TV setup, you should check your debian
> setup carefully if you are worried by such things, or use a
> "child-safe" config which shares your view. Main debian should

Notice that i am not speaking about children using the box, but just being
there while the screensaver is active.

> > > 4. is this a much larger problem than a mail client which
> > > displays graphics from junk email? (seems not)
> > Definitively yes, because you are not forced to see junk email, while
>
> Why not? I wish I could avoid seeing all junk without losing other
> emails. Do you think I never have to open email or what? Well,
> I could never install a screensaver either. (Actually, I don't. I
> switch my monitor off. I last used a psychadelic screensaver a few
> workplaces ago as a distraction to make cow-orkers pause after 2
> minutes so I could get a word in edgeways.)

Yeah, but let's suppose you let your home box running all day while you are at
work ?

> > screensavers get activated while you are not there, and out of your control,
> > and can represent potential damage to innocent bistander.
>
> To be honest, I think there are worse sources of damage than porno.

Maybe, maybe not, but they don't get showed by default too, so ...

(and there can be quite extremely offensive porn pictures out there i
believe).

Friendly,

Sven Luther